The domain of reading is crucial for ELLs to acquire in English. In this assignment, you will explore the importance and techniques of how help ELLs learn to read in English. Respond to the K-12
Children or Students in a K-12 Learning Context
Read from your primary text:
· Chapter 6: Learn to Read, Read to Learn
Watch PCG’s 2012 video Teaching Reading and Comprehension to English Learners, Grades K-5
Address the following items in your original post.
· Explain why vocabulary development is so important.
· Describe what role BICS and CALP have in vocabulary development. You may need to refer to Week 2’s notes.
o Defend your description using information from the previous weeks.
· Examine the role assessment has in reading and vocabulary development?
The Teaching Reading Paper
· Must be two to four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.) resource.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.).
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least two scholarly source in addition to the course text.
· The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) guide.