There are 50 residents that live in a small town in California. Each resident uses electricity and there is one power station that produces electricity for the residents from coal. Each residents' demand for electricity is Q = 10 - 2P and the supply function for the power plant is Q = 150P. For each unit of electricity that the power station produces, there is a corresponding release of pollution that leads to asthma and other health problems for the 50 residents. The marginal damage of each unit of electricity produced, per person, is $.05.
9. What is the market equilibrium price and quantity per unit of electricity?
10. What is the efficient Pigouvian tax per unit of pollution?
11. The government of this small California town decides to impose the efficient Pigouvian per unit tax on the power station. What is the new social optimum price and quantity per unit of electricity?
12. What is the government tax revenue?
13. What is the gain in total surplus from imposing taxes on the power station compared to the pre-tax equilibrium?