Graded Assignment 1
For the first graded assignment, you will be using the gss.sav data file.
In your paper, address the following questions:
1. Describe the differences in demographic characteristics between respondents who voted in the 1992 election and those who did not.
2. Describe the differences in demographic characteristics between respondents who voted in the 1992 election for the Democratic candidate, the Republican candidate and the Independent candidate.
3. Is voting behavior related to perceptual characteristics, such as happiness in life or work?
You can utilize any method we’ve covered to analyze these variables and to search for relationships (Descriptives, Frequencies, Select If, Means, Explore, Graphs or Charts, Crosstabs). The choice is yours. Spend some time thinking about other variables that you think are related to these variables. It’s a big dataset, and you can’t analyze everything – so use some logic in your choices. On this assignment especially, you should spend a lot of time analyzing data – and then pick the most effective analyses and communication devices.
1. Your paper cannot exceed 7 double-spaced pages with 1” margins on all sides, and a 12 point Times New Roman font. There will be point deductions for extra pages. You can include an Appendix that will not count toward the total number of pages.
2. All graphs, figures or tables must be included in the paper.
3. Your assignment should be uploaded to Canvas and e-mailed to me as a Word file attachment. Save your file as… Last Name, First Name MGT 611 Assignment 1…For example Bradley, Gregory MGT 611 Assignment 1
4. In the subject line of your e-mail submission, type MGT 611 Assignment 1.
5. Remember that factual statements must be supported with data.
6. Grammar, writing style and editing do count and will be graded.
7. You will be evaluated on your ability to communicate, the analytical accuracy of your answers, and the creativity you exhibit in the analysis.
8. Communicate to a manager – for perspective on this assignment, assume you work for an organization that targets prospects on the basis of voting behavior and political party affiliations/non-affiliations. Many organizations profile market segments using demographic, geographic, lifestyle and perceptual variables. As you write, ask yourself why the assignment questions would be important – and what the possible business value of your answers might be. How would your analysis inform the targeting effort for this organization, and what would you recommend?